Published on January 31st, 2019 | by Justin G.
Arch Enemy: Covered in Blood (Century Media, 2019)
Swedish melodic death metal legends Arch Enemy has something fun to tide us over until their next full-length album is released. Covered in Blood is (you guessed it) a collection of cover songs the band has recorded over the years. I’m a big fan of well-executed cover songs, compilations that gather years’ worth of bonus tracks in one package, and Arch Enemy in general, so I was very happy to get my hands on Covered in Blood.
Covered in Blood includes every cover song Arch Enemy has ever recorded. All eras and all vocalists are featured here. Here’s what you get:
- Shout (Tears For Fears) – From the Reason To Believe single.
- Back To Back (Pretty Maids) –This was the bonus track on the Japanese edition of Will To Power.
- Shadow on the Wall (Mike Oldfield) – This was a bonus track on the deluxe edition of War Eternal.
- Breaking the Law (Judas Priest) – Another bonus track from War Eternal.
- Nitad (Moderat Likvidation) – This is from a 2-song flexi-disc they did for Decibel magazine.
- When the Innocent Die (Anti-Cimex) – This is the other half of the Decibel flexi.
- Warsystem (The Shitlickers) – We’re getting the whole 4-song Rapunk EP that was previously only available in Japan.
- Armed Revolution (The Shitlickers)
- Sprackta Snutskallar (The Shitlickers)
- The Leader (of the Fucking Assholes) (The Shitlickers)
- City Baby (Attacked By Rats) (GBH) – This was the other bonus track on the deluxe edition of War Eternal.
- Warning (Discharge) – A bonus track from the Khaos Legions album.
- The Zoo (Scorpions) – This was the bonus track from the Japanese edition of Khaos Legions.
- Wings of Tomorrow (Europe) – This was originally on the Japanese edition of The Root of All Evil, and later on the deluxe edition of Khaos Legions.
- The Oath (KISS) – This was originally on the Japanese edition of Rise of the Tyrant and later on the deluxe edition of Khaos Legions.
- The Book of Heavy Metal (Dream Evil) – From the Century Media: Covering 20 Years of Extremes compilation.
- Walk in the Shadows (Queensrcyche) – Originally on the Revolution Begins single, it also appeared on the Japanese version of The Root of All Evil.
- Incarnated Solvent Abuse (Carcass) – One of three covers from the Dead Eyes See No Future EP.
- Kill With Power (Manowar)
- Symphony of Destruction (Megadeth)
- Aces High (Iron Maiden) – From the Wages of Sin bonus disc.
- Scream of Anger (Europe) – Also from the Wages of Sin bonus disc.
- Starbreaker (Judas Priest) – Another one from the Wages of Sin bonus disc, this also appeared on the Burning Angel single.
- The Ides of March (Iron Maiden) – This was a bonus track from the Black Earth days.
Thanks to a good number of these songs being punk covers, they were able to cram all 24 tracks on one disc. There’s some amazing material here (the Megadeth, Queensryche, Tears For Fears and Pretty Maids covers come to mind) and some songs that aren’t as interesting (those aforementioned punk covers), but all in all Covered in Blood is a hell of a lot of fun. The liner notes on each song by Michael Amott was another nice touch.
Die-hard Arch Enemy fans may have most, if not all, of this material already, but for those of us who don’t chase down every Japanese pressing or limited edition release, Covered in Blood is a great way to get a ton of rare bonus tracks in one place. Every band should do this from time to time.
Summary: Killer collection of cover songs